The global passenger stairs market size was around USD 318.6 million in 2021 and is anticipated to surpass USD 416.5 million by 2030, expanding at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.4% during the forecast period, 2022–2030. This growth is attributed to the expansion of airports across the globe and technological advancement in the staircase.
What are Passenger Stairs?
A set of steps that provides traverse between doors and the ground to the passengers is known as passenger stairs. It is also known as a passenger boarding stairs or stair escalator, which is designed for passengers to provide safety, comfort, and stable boarding in the long run with smooth adjustment of the platform height. These steps are generally mounted on a truck or self-propelled chassis with automatic transmission.
What are the Types of Passenger Stairs?
There are mainly two types:
- Self-Propelled Passenger Stairs: These staircases are designed for aircraft service that can be used by the physically impaired as well as non-physically impaired passengers. The range of self-propelled serviced heights depends on the model ranging from 2400mm to 4800mm.
- Features of self-propelled passenger stairs: It has four stabilizers that are located at the chassis’ corners, which provides stability. These staircases are available in diesel and electric engines. These staircases are also known as the power stairs as it has a simple mechanism that helps in propelling the users up and down with the help of an electric motor.
- Towable Passenger Stairs: These staircases are made of steel or aluminum that are designed to adjust the board and offload passengers at heights from 85 to 152 inches. These boarding steps are available in six models, such as diesel or electric power, hydrostatic pedestrian drive system, aluminum constructed staircase and side panels, powered steering, enclosed stairway canopy, height adjustment and stabilizers, and led light packs. These staircases are propelled by a motor that can be controlled by a controller.
- Features of Towable Passenger Stairs:
It also has four stabilizers that offer stability. it provides stability, pivoting access platform that aligns automatically with the aircraft fuselage, and fail-safe mechanical height locking mechanisms.
Get a Free Sample Report @
What are Chassis-Mounted Passenger Stairways?
Chassis-mounted stairways are tubular wrap-around the steel frame. It is light in weight and agile for a crowded ramp environment. It extended reach mobile stair services doorsill heights from 96 inches to 228 inches. Chassis-mounted stairways are equipped with an easy-to-position stairways unit that allows clear visibility during the approach to the aircraft. It has zero-emission electric power.
What are Aircraft Passenger Boarding Stairs and Why are they Important?
Aircraft passenger boarding stairs or an airstair is a set of steps that are built into an aircraft for the board and alight of the passengers. It is a built-in or movable set of steps that allows passengers to enter and exit the aircraft. It includes many benefits compared to mobile stairs. It acts as an airport stands equipment as it allows passengers to board and disembark the aircraft by eliminating risks. Aircraft airstairs are equipped with adjustable steps built into a clamshell-style door on the aircraft mounted on a truck or self-propelled. provides limited mobile stairs that help with fast passenger turnarounds.
Advantages of Passenger Boarding Stairs:
- Safe approach to the connection
- Potential security associated with passenger access
- Reduced manpower
- Ease of access
- Low maintenance cost
- It provides comfort
- It requires fewer staff to operate
Passenger staircases are widely used in aircraft, mining, and the military and are available in open and closed staircases. These stairsteps are typically installed on the side of an airplane or other vehicles that provide a convenient way for boarding and disembarking.
Airport administrations are primary consumers of this staircase. Growing urbanization across the globe at a rapid pace leads to the expansion of the airport, which demands aircraft airstairs that are anticipated to increase the stairway manufacturing units. Furthermore, stairs suppliers demand an automated system in the spiral stairs market due to technological development, which boosts demand for passenger boarding staircases in the future.